Visas can be issued for the purposes of volunteering. There are three types of volunteering: civic service, association-based volunteer work and European Voluntary Service (EVS).

If part of the European Voluntary Service (EVS), you will receive a temporary long-stay visa (VLS-T) marked “Volunteer”.

For the other categories of volunteering, different types of visa will be issued based on how long you will be volunteering:

  • If your stay is equal to or less than 12 months it will be marked “Temporary exemption from a residence permit”
  • If it is over 12 months it will be marked “Visitor”

Where are you submitting your visa application?


Due to the current situation regarding the spread of the coronavirus, France suspends the issuance of visas until further notice.

Read more