Airport Transit Visa

This visa applies if you remain in the airport’s international zone while waiting for your transfer flight to your final destination, and your final destination is located outside the Schengen Area.

You are required to apply for the "A" Airport Transit Visa (ATV) if you hold:

  • An ordinary, foreign service or special passport issued by: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Ghana, Iraq, Iran, Nigeria, Pakistan, Democratic Republic of Congo, Somalia, or Sri Lanka;
  • An ordinary passport or other travel document issued by: Cameroon, Central African Republic, Congo (Brazzaville), Ivory Coast, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Guinea (Conakry), Haiti, India, Mali, Mauritania, Philippines, Russia (if you are arriving from an airport located in Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Ukraine, Belarus, Moldova, Turkey or Egypt), Senegal, Sierra Leone, Sudan, South Sudan, Syria or Chad;
  • A travel document issued by the authorities of one of the aforementioned countries, of which the bearer is not a national;
  • Status as a refugee hailing from one of the aforementioned countries;
  • A travel document for  Palestinian refugees;
  • A service passport issued by Guinea (Conakry);
  • A travel document for Palestinian refugees issued by the Egyptian, Lebanese or Syrian authorities.

Even if you hold one of the listed nationalities or if one of the descriptions described above applies to you, you are only exempt from visa requirements if you belong to one of the following categories::

  • Members of airline crews who are nationals of a state party to the Chicago Convention;
  • Holders of a valid residence permit, issued by a member state of the European Union or European Economic Space;
  • Holders of a residence permit issued by the Principality of Andorra, Japan, Canada, the United States of America, the Principality of Monaco, the Republic of San Marino, which guarantees unrestricted right of return;
  • Holders of a visa valid for a member state of the European Union or European Economic Space, Canada, the United States of America and Japan;
  • The family members of a citizen of the European Union or European Economic Space or Switzerland;
  • Holders of a valid Schengen visa, long-stay national visa, or residence permit issued by a Schengen state.


Update : October 2017