Apply for a visa in the United States of America to visit France
Visa applications submitted in the United States of America are examined by the French Consulate in Washington DC, only the Consulate is authorised to take decisions about visas.
The visa section of the Consulate General of France in Washington has resumed issuing visas.
The reception of visa applicants and the receipt of applications are handled by the 9 VFS Global centres in the United States and 1 centre in Jamaica :
- Visa applicants living in the United States and the following territories (Bermuda, The Bahamas, The Cayman Islands, The Turks and Caicos Islands, The U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico) can set up their appointment at one of the 10 VFS Global centers regardless of their location.
- During our busy periods, it can take longer to secure an appointment. We recommend you make sure your appointment is at least :
- 15 days before your date of departure for a short stay visa,
- 1 month before for a long stay visa
- Applications cannot be submitted more than 6 months before the departure date for short stay visa applications and more than 3 months before the departure date for long stay visa applications.
- Please be careful : Beware of scams and unofficial websites proposing, in USA, to pay for an appointment or for a French visa. Please refer only to the information and the links you will find on France-Visas website.
Kindly note that the visa application submission procedure does not end after filling the form online on the France Visas website. You still need to print the application form and take it with you, along with all other required documents, when you submit your application at VFS.
Make an appointment
To make an appointment and find information about the visa application centres, please check the “Whom should I contact ?”.
For all special cases, as well as for the holders of service, official and or diplomatic passports, please refer to the section “Particular situations”.
Caution: Cerfa form in draft
The day of your appointment you must imperatively present your CERFA in final paper version. It must not have the word "DRAFT".
If your CERFA has the mention "DRAFT", this means that your application is not finalized on France-Visas and will therefore be refused on the day of filing.
Beware of fraudulent sites
Visa applicants are advised to be cautious in all dealings with companies that claim to offer assistance in obtaining French visas.
The day of your appointment:
Attention, the day of your appointment you must print and come with your receipt. In case of absence of a document present on your receipt, your visa application can be refused.