► Your situation
- You are aged between 17 and 30;
- You are temporarily going to stay with a family in France in order to study French.
► Your requirements
You must sign an au pair placement agreement (pdf). This agreement must be submitted to the French authorities (DIRECCTE) by your host family. The form must indicate:
- The services you will be required to provide to the family;
- Your working hours (five hours maximum per day);
- Details about your board and lodging;
- Your weekly rest days (one rest day per week including one compulsory Sunday a month);
- The jointly agreed amount of pocket money you will receive.
This must be accompanied by your medical certificate dated less than 3 months (the certificate must be translated into French by a sworn translator if the original is in a foreign language).
After receiving authorisation from the authorities, you should then apply for your visa in accordance with the procedure in place for your country.
► Your visa
The length of your stay must not exceed one year. It may be extended as long as it does not exceed two years.